The Department of Chemistry at the Faculty of Sciences offers variety of courses, major and minor undergraduate B.Sc (Honours/Research), postgraduate and Ph.D. programme, renowned for their high-quality teaching and research in cutting-edge areas of chemical and interdisciplinary science. By virtue of powerfully built physical infrastructure, the department bolster up teaching and research activities effectually. The department has introduced innovative curricula, including job-oriented courses like Environmental Chemistry, Polymer Chemistry, Computational and Green Chemistry, preparing students for careers in various fields: Teaching, Medical Research, Pharmaceutical industries, Chemical Industries, Environment Agencies, Food Industries, Research Organization, Forensic Science Laboratories, Testing/Medical Laboratories, Plastic Industries, Technologist (Nano Science, Solar Renewable Energy, Green Hydrogen), Quality Controller etc. Apart from these they can also be recruited in other fields such as oil, gas and power sectors and even in Defence Services.
The pedagogy involves quizzes, presentations, debates, extempore speeches, seminars, workshops, field visits, industrial training, and practical sessions enhancing the learning experience. Research is a significant focus, with faculty members actively engaging students in the research process and publishing in reputable journals. The assignment of the prestigious chemistry department is to: Address, Intellectual and professional requirements in the zones of chemistry, bio-chemistry, environment analysis, material sciences, of students ranging from those who have a zeal to be a researcher or a chemist.
Chemistry is the central science that can be allied to all other fields of science and technology.
The Bachelor of Science in Chemistry at Parishkar College offer students a quantitative experience in chemistry, covering major fields like Inorganic, Organic, Physical, Nano Science and Green Chemistry. Students gain practical skills, critical thinking abilities, and research opportunities. Faculty members are dedicated to addressing individual needs and fostering student potential.
Candidates are selected for fellowships. The job positions available for M.Sc Chemistry graduates are:
- Assistant Chemical Engineering,
- Industrial Research Assistant Scientist
- Lab Chemist
- Analytical Chemist
- Production Chemist
- Teacher/Lecturer in Chemistry in School/College
- Biomedical Chemist
The following are the competitive examinations before the candidate possessing the educational qualifications of M.Sc. Chemistry:
- Civil Service Examination
- IBPS, SBI Banking Examination
- SSC Combined Graduate Level Examination
- Graduate Level Railway Examinations
- LIC Examinations
- Competitive examinations conducted by UPSC for the post of Quality Control or Chemist.
And many more examinations
Objectives Of The Programme
- Apply fundamental principles in science across multidisciplinary fields, fostering analytical problem-solving skills and logical thinking for scientific requirements.
- Develop critical thinking and scientific temper, while effectively communicating subjects.
- Understand the importance of technology for sustainable growth, while upholding professional, ethical, and social responsibilities.
- Enhance research culture, engage in reflective learning, and gain industry-focused skills for a successful career in innovation.
- Disciplinary Knowledge: A solid foundation in chemistry concepts, experimental results, and fundamental principles prepares individuals for an undergraduate program. Understanding the relevance of chemistry in everyday life enhances their practical application skills.
- Communication Skills: Proficient in expressing thoughts, ideas, and scientific findings through effective written reports and presentations. This skill set enables clear comprehension and engagement with scientific literature.
- Critical Thinking: Developing the ability to collect and analyze data, draw logical conclusions, and design innovative solutions to scientific problems. This fosters a deeper understanding of complex issues and enhances problem-solving capabilities.
- Problem-solving: Applying acquired knowledge to solve non-familiar problems encountered in daily life. This skill promotes adaptability and resourcefulness, enabling individuals to tackle challenges creatively.
- Analytical Reasoning: Proficient in analyzing and interpreting data, drawing valid conclusions, and supporting them with relevant examples. This skill facilitates decision-making and strengthens scientific arguments.
- Application: Apply academic knowledge, analytical skills, and research-oriented talents to excel as a content writer, quality controller, analyst, and research assistant, while also competing for government exams like NTPC, ONGC, and forensic scientist positions.
- Solution Oriented Approach: Develop problem-solving and analytical skills to establish small-scale industries producing daily-use products and testing laboratories for analyzing water, soil, and heavy metals, contributing to environmental and public health assessments.
- Opportunities: Appraise basic chemistry concepts to qualify for entrance exams like M.Sc., B.Ed., and IIT JAM, opening doors to higher education and diverse career opportunities in various fields.
B.Sc. in Chemistry provides a comprehensive foundation in the study of chemical substances, their properties, and interactions. It involves theoretical knowledge and practical laboratory experience, enabling students to understand the fundamental principles of chemistry. The program covers various areas such as organic, inorganic, physical, and analytical chemistry, as well as biochemistry. Students learn to conduct experiments, analyze data, and solve problems. They acquire essential scientific skills, including critical thinking, observation, and research methodologies. Graduates can pursue diverse career paths, including research, academia, pharmaceuticals, environmental science, and more. B.Sc. in Chemistry opens doors to a wide range of opportunities in industries that rely on chemical expertise.
Studying B.Sc. Honours in Chemistry offers an advanced and specialized education in the field. This program builds upon the foundational knowledge of a regular B.Sc. in Chemistry, providing in-depth exploration of various sub-disciplines and research opportunities. Students engage in rigorous coursework, advanced laboratory experiments, and independent research projects. They develop a deep understanding of complex chemical concepts and analytical techniques, enhancing their problem-solving and critical thinking abilities. B.Sc. Honours in Chemistry prepare students for advanced studies or professional careers in research, academia, pharmaceuticals, chemical industries, and more. Graduates possess a strong foundation and specialized expertise in chemistry, making them highly valued in the scientific community.
Studying M.Sc. in Chemistry is a postgraduate program that offers advanced education in the field of chemistry. It provides an opportunity for students to specialize and delve deeper into their chosen area of interest within chemistry. The program encompasses advanced coursework, research projects, and practical laboratory experience. Students gain a comprehensive understanding of complex chemical theories, experimental techniques, and analytical methods. They develop critical research skills, data analysis expertise, and the ability to independently contribute to scientific advancements. M.Sc. in Chemistry prepares graduates for careers in academia, research institutions, pharmaceuticals, chemical industries, and other scientific sectors. It serves as a solid foundation for further academic pursuits or a stepping stone towards leadership roles in the field.
Course Description and Assessment
- The program requires studying twelve core courses, two ability enhancement courses, four skill enhancement courses, and four discipline-specific elective courses.
- Students are expected to complete a dissertation and a minor project as part of the program.
- Assessments in the program will consist of written exams, assignments, and lab work.
- Each semester will have one midterm exam and one final exam.
- Assignments will be evaluated based on timely submission and their content quality.
- Lab work will be assessed through routine lab work, lab assignments, and projects.
Academic & Job Prospects in Chemistry
- Research opportunities in academia and industry for Chemistry graduates.
- High demand for analytical skills in pharmaceutical and chemical industries.
- Career pathways in environmental science and sustainability initiatives.
- Potential for advancement in fields like material science and nanotechnology.
- Opportunities in government and regulatory agencies for policy and compliance.
- Potential for entrepreneurship in areas like chemical consulting and innovation.
Several esteemed institutes provide compelling employment prospects for aspiring Chemistry Graduates and Post Graduates. Below are some notable examples:
There are several esteemed institutes in India that provide compelling employment prospects for aspiring Chemistry graduates and postgraduates. Here are 10 notable institutes known for their chemistry programms and strong placement opportunities:
- National Chemical Laboratories (NCL), Pune
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), Mumbai
- Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science (IACS), Kolkata
- Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC), Mumbai
- CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Technology (IICT), Hyderabad
- Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR), Bengaluru
- National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISERs
Some of the main industries offering employment opportunities to Chemistry Graduates and Post Graduates are listed under:
- Pharmaceutical Industry
- Chemical Manufacturing Industry
- Petrochemical Industry
- Environmental Sector
- Paints and Coatings Industry
- Agrochemical Industry
- Food and Beverage Industry
- Cosmetics and Personal Care Industry
- Analytical and Testing Laboratories
- Research and Development: Research institutions, universities, and government laboratories offer employment opportunities for chemistry graduates and postgraduates in research and development. They conduct fundamental and applied research in areas like organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, materials science, and more.
“The college along with graduation offers various competition classes & other skill development courses to enhance our skills and knowledge for making our vision clear.”
Abhishek Sharma B.Sc (M)
“The college has excellent infrastructure that has helped me to grow substantially & contributed to my overall growth. The teachers and the students in this college share beautiful relationship that leads to dynamic growth in our personality.”
Rishab Jain B.Sc(M)
“Teachers are supportive and their teaching methods are very professional. Parents are well informed about their child’s performance and attendance of the classes. Library is well maintained and all sorts of books, academic and competitive, research papers are available. Pre-university exams help the students in time management and also to improve their performance.”
Ashok Choudhary B.Sc(M)
Skilled & Qualified